Page Title, Social Icons for page template
News Releases - Find Your Region Map
EXC - Excellus BCBS Service Area - Modal
Modal for Excellus BCBS Service Area
Curbside Market: Fresh fruits and vegetables this winter in Livingston, Ontario and Seneca Counties
For Immediate Release: 2017-12-22
Rochester, NY –
Residents in Livingston, Wayne and Ontario counties can access fresh fruits and vegetables throughout the winter thanks to Foodlink’s Curbside Market trucks.
Curbside Market is a “farm stand on wheels.” The Curbside trucks visit communities where residents have trouble accessing fresh foods. The trucks often stop in rural communities at affordable housing units, or by recently closed supermarkets, and offer around 30 varieties of fruits, vegetables, eggs, and unsalted nuts.
Providing new access points to fresh fruits and vegetables on a year-round basis is crucial, said Mitch Gruber, Chief Programs Officer at Foodlink. People on a fixed income, or who have trouble with mobility or transportation, frequently visit the truck.
“Many people don’t realize that even though some residents in rural communities are surrounded by farms, they are still in a food desert if they don’t live near a grocery store or farmer’s market,” Gruber said. “We’re excited to bring fresh, affordable produce to people’s doorsteps throughout the winter, when weather can sometimes deter people from making a trip to the store.”
Curbside Market has also been able this year to reach more people throughout the Finger Lakes Region, thanks to funding from Excellus BlueCross BlueShield. The health plan helped fund a new truck for Curbside’s fleet of vehicles, which has helped the program serve about 35 percent more people in the past year.
From January through March, the Curbside trucks will be serving the following locations:
- Thursdays: Tri-County Family Medicine, 10:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m., 60 Red Jacket St., Dansville, Livingston County
- Jan. 18 & Feb. 1: 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Village of Lima (Parking lot next to Fantastics), 7275 W. Main St., Lima, Livingston County
- Jan. 11 & Jan. 25: Mount Morris Senior Nutrition, 11:45 a.m.- 12:30 p.m., 3 Elm St., Mount Morris, Livingston County
- Jan. 16 & Jan. 30: 200 East (Newark Housing Authority), 10:15a.m.-11:00 a.m., 200 East Miller, Newark, Wayne County
- Jan. 9 & Jan. 23: Newark-Wayne Hospital, 10:15 a.m. to 11 a.m., 1200 Driving Park Ave., Newark, Wayne County
- Feb. 6 & Feb. 20 : Towpath Manor, 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., 200 Canal St., Palmyra, Wayne County
- Jan. 16 & Feb. 27: Spa Apartments, 11:15 a.m. to Noon, 11 E. Main St., Clifton Springs, Ontario County
- Fridays: Elmcrest Apartments, 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., 99 Lewis St., Geneva, Ontario County
- Fridays: Salvation Army, 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., 41 North St. Geneva, Ontario County
For a complete list of Curbside stops visit FoodlinkNY.org/fight_hunger/curbside-market
Foodlink is a regional food hub and the Feeding America food bank serving Allegany, Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, Seneca, Wayne, Wyoming, and Yates counties. Our operations alleviate food insecurity by distributing food to a network of human service agencies and target the root causes of hunger through our state-of-the-art commercial kitchen and dozens of food-related programs. To learn more, visit foodlinkny.org
# # #
Excellus BlueCross BlueShield, an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, is a nonprofit health plan with 1.5 million upstate New York members. The company's mission is to help people live healthier and more secure lives through access to high-quality, affordable health care. Its products and services include cost-saving prescription drug discounts, wellness tracking tools and access to telemedicine. With more than 3,500 employees, the company is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce to foster innovation and better serve its members. It also encourages employees to engage in their communities by providing paid volunteer time off as one of many benefits. To learn more, visit ExcellusBCBS.com.