Modal for Excellus BCBS Service Area
null TIME FOR EVERYONE TO GET #VACCINEREADY
TIME FOR EVERYONE TO GET #VACCINEREADY
For Immediate Release: 2021-04-01
Contact: Karen Feigel, Karen.Feigel@excellus.com
Rochester, NY –
Because of COVID-19’s disproportionate impact on racial and ethnic minorities, Excellus BlueCross BlueShield is working to help the community become #VaccineReady during National Minority Health Month.
Excellus BCBS has a dedicated COVID-19 website Updates on COVID-19 | Excellus BlueCross BlueShield (chooseexcellus.com) that offers up-to-the-minute information on what you need to know such as how to schedule an appointment, “Ask the Expert” videos, what to expect after you get the vaccine, benefits and coverage, and more.
The health plan has also:
- created COVID-19 educational materials and resources that are available in Spanish and English;
- is calling customers to remind them of their second vaccine dose appointment;
- is offering community-based educational roadshows to educate the public on why getting the COVID-19 vaccine is imperative.
This year’s National Minority Health Month is focusing on the need for vulnerable communities to get #VaccineReady as more vaccines become available.
“We’re specifically encouraging our Black and Brown communities who are eligible to get the facts and to register for a COVID-19 appointment as soon as they can to help reduce the spread of the virus,” stated Dr. Lisa Harris, vice president medical affairs with Excellus BCBS.
Excellus BCBS advises everyone to take the following actions:
- Get the facts about COVID-19 vaccines.
- Share accurate vaccine information.
- Get vaccinated when you have the opportunity. If you are doing the two-dose vaccine, please be sure to keep your second appointment. Call to change the date if needed.
- Practice COVID-19 safety measures (wear your mask, wash your hands often, keep 6 feet apart and avoid large gatherings).
“The main thing to remember is that all three of the COVID-19 vaccines are among the most effective vaccines in history. The best choice for you is whichever vaccine you have access to first,” said Dr. Harris. “We ask that you share this information with friends, loved ones and neighbors so everyone has the facts about the COVID-19 vaccines and understands the importance of getting vaccinated.”
National Minority Health Month is presented each April by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Minority Health.
# # #
Excellus BlueCross BlueShield, an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, is a nonprofit health plan with 1.5 million upstate New York members. The company's mission is to help people live healthier and more secure lives through access to high-quality, affordable health care. Its products and services include cost-saving prescription drug discounts, wellness tracking tools and access to telemedicine. With more than 3,500 employees, the company is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce to foster innovation and better serve its members. It also encourages employees to engage in their communities by providing paid volunteer time off as one of many benefits. To learn more, visit ExcellusBCBS.com.